Built in 1904, the Prince George was once one of New York City’s premier hotels. After many years of decline and neglect, it was rehabilitated by Breaking Ground and reopened in 1999 to provide 416 units of affordable housing for low-income and formerly homeless adults and persons living with HIV/AIDS. The Prince George is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2005, Breaking Ground completed the restoration of the building’s 5,000-square-foot Neo-Renaissance ballroom. Working with four other non-profit groups, including Alpha Workshops, Parsons School of Design, Brooklyn High School of Preservation Arts, and YouthBuild, the Neo-Renaissance ballroom was completed as a design-build project by Beyer Blinder Belle Architects. The Prince George Ballroom is now an event venue, available for rental with proceeds supporting the expansion of Breaking Ground’s housing development work. World Monuments Fund has located its permanent exhibition space at the entry foyer/gallery, designed and built by architecture students of the Parsons School of Design.